Final Post: Our Relationship With Technology

Everybody's relationship with technology is different. Some depend on it, some just see it as a means of communication, some only use it for entertainment, and some even despise it. However, technology usage has significantly increased in the past century. 

The rate at which we are creating new technology or applications has also significantly risen. For example, the first computers were made in 1950, and in 2000, just 50 years later, we created the smartphone. In an even shorter time, humans began the creation of Artificial Intelligence, which is well on its way to becoming Human level or beyond.  It has become one of humanity's most outstanding achievements and possibly downfalls. 

Cell phones, social media, and AI have allowed us to access a plethora of information in seconds. They help us communicate with others easily, build community, and even research things that aren't easily accessible. But with the rise of social media, there has also been a rise in phone/social media addictions. How people view technology's positives and negatives determines their relationship with technology. 

My personal relationship with technology is good. I believe I have a healthy relationship with social media, though sometimes I spend an excessive amount of time online. I spend an appropriate amount of time on my phone or other devices because sometimes I simply don't have the time to go overboard. When I spend an excessive amount of time on technology, it is probably because I have a lot of free time. 

Things like the internet and even some forms of social media have benefited me concerning information consumption. I've searched for more information about my interests and found articles and academic journals for my class assignments. Technology allows for easily accessible information across different platforms, which also means unreliable information exists. There are steps to determine if a website or source is unreliable if you're skeptical. With the rapid growth of the internet and just how easily accessible it is to everyone around the world, there would inevitably be misinformation on the web. 

For reasons similar to mine, technology still benefits others, including my friends and family. My friends and family use technology in identical ways to me in the ways it allows for entertainment, communication, and research. It helps us communicate in seconds, and with social media, we can share funny or valuable things we find with each other. 

Since we exist online, we can also become victims of scams in which hackers impersonate or steal our identities. If we are in contact over social media or messages, someone impersonating someone you know may trick us. This leads to another point where being careful of your online footprint is essential.

You should be careful of your online footprint because it gives these hackers things to work
with and steal to make their scams more believable. You should also be cautious since this is what employers usually look at. For example, when I search my name, my YouTube, LinkedIn, and some awards appear. Nothing is incriminating, but nothing stands out. 

Overall, technology is a beautiful thing that has furthered humanity. Our relationship with technology is ever-changing as new benefits and risks emerge and disappear. 



.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living Age of AI

The Eight Values of Free Expression